Recipe by Bev
Hot from the oven or toasted these bagels are great! for a flavor change, soak the raisins in your favorite sweet liquor instead of water.
Top Review by Mrs.Fritz
This is excellent! Never have made bagels before and these were completely successful. I followed the directions exactly. Had no problems, they taste perfect. I"ll never buy a bagel again!
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, presoaked
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups lukewarm water
- 3 cups white bread flour
- 3 1⁄3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons fast rise yeast or 3 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the raisins in warm water for 10 minutes.
- Drain and pat dry.
- Toss with cinnamon and sugar, then place in machine with other ingredients.
- Remove dough from the machine after the first knead- approximately 20- 30 minutes.
- Place dough on floured surface.
- Divide into 8 parts.
- Form balls, gently press thumb through center of ball and slowly stretch into bagel shape.
- While bagels rise, bring 3 quarts water and 1 TBS sugar to a rapid boil in a large sauce pan.
- Drop test dough (see first success hint).
- Using slotted spoon, drop 2-3 bagels into rapidly boiling water.
- Boil on each side for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Remove and cool on rack 1 minute, brush with egg wash.
- Bake at 400°F on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal, until golden brown- approximately 15 minutes.
- Bagel Success Hints: When forming bagels, set aside two 1/4" balls of dough.
- When bagels have doubled in size, drop the test dough into boiling water.
- Dough should pop to the top right away.
- When this happens, it is time to boil the bagels.
- A quick spray of non-stick vegetable coating on the top of the bagel may be substituted for the egg wash.
- To make bagel chips, slice leftover bagels horizontally into thin slices.
- Brush with butter or margarine on one side.
- Lay (butter side up) on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 325°F for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.