Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Bon Appetit, many moons ago. Beautiful and delicious.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 hard-boiled egg yolk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, beaten to blend
- 3 large granny smith apples, peeled and cored
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup raisins or 1⁄4 cup currants
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375.
- Butter a 9-inch tart pan with 1 1/2 inch high sides and removeable bottom. (I use a springform pan) Set aside.
- For crust:.
- Blend flour, butter, sour cream, 1 T sugar, hard-boiled egg yolk, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, till mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Transfer all but 1/2 cup of mixture to prepared pan.
- Press mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- Bake 10 minutes. Brush with egg white.
- Continue baking till brown, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to rack.
- Reduce oven temp to 350.
- Add remaining 2 T of sugar to reserved mixture in bowl and blend. Chill crumb mixture till ready to use.
- For Filling:.
- Thinly slice apples.
- Mix sugar, sour cream, egg yolks, flour, vanilla and cinnamon till smooth (referred to in later steps as "custard").
- Arrange half the apple slices, overlapping slightly, in concentric circles on prepared crust.
- Sprinkle half the raisins or currants over.
- Repeat procedure with remaining apple slices and raisins.
- Spoon custard mixture over apples, lifting apples slightly and smoothing custard between slices.
- Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over top.
- Place pan on cookie sheet. Bake till custard is set, covering edges of crust with foil if browning too quickly, about 65 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes. Remove sides of pan. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or cream fraiche. Or just as is :).
I think too much nutmeg overpowered the other flavors.
I found this recipe after trying one of the other apple kuchen recipes on this website and have to give you five stars for this one. It is as simple as taking a box of cake mix, but boy is it worth the few extra steps! Perfect combination of ingredients and measurements for the end result. Thank you so much. I only wish I had found this one first. Note to me (never make a recipe for company without testing it first. Reviewers can be wrong. LOL
After making defferent German dishes I have a new found respect for my Great Grandma and Grandma. I see why they never left the kitchen. There is alot of time spent on making these dishes! My DD and I made this for dessert tonight. It was wonderful. There was 1 piece left and I had it for breakfast. Thanks for sharing this it made me feel like I was back in Great Grandma's kitchen again.