1/3 Photos of Cinnamon Raisin Apple Kuchen
1 hr 30 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
From Bon Appetit, many moons ago. Beautiful and delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 hard-boiled egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, beaten to blend
- 1Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375.
- 2Butter a 9-inch tart pan with 1 1/2 inch high sides and removeable bottom. (I use a springform pan) Set aside.
- 3For crust:.
- 4Blend flour, butter, sour cream, 1 T sugar, hard-boiled egg yolk, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, till mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 5Transfer all but 1/2 cup of mixture to prepared pan.
- 6Press mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- 7Bake 10 minutes. Brush with egg white.
- 8Continue baking till brown, about 15 minutes.
- 9Transfer to rack.
- 10Reduce oven temp to 350.
- 11Add remaining 2 T of sugar to reserved mixture in bowl and blend. Chill crumb mixture till ready to use.
- 12For Filling:.
- 13Thinly slice apples.
- 14Mix sugar, sour cream, egg yolks, flour, vanilla and cinnamon till smooth (referred to in later steps as "custard").
- 15Arrange half the apple slices, overlapping slightly, in concentric circles on prepared crust.
- 16Sprinkle half the raisins or currants over.
- 17Repeat procedure with remaining apple slices and raisins.
- 18Spoon custard mixture over apples, lifting apples slightly and smoothing custard between slices.
- 19Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over top.
- 20Place pan on cookie sheet. Bake till custard is set, covering edges of crust with foil if browning too quickly, about 65 minutes.
- 21Let stand 10 minutes. Remove sides of pan. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or cream fraiche. Or just as is :).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cinnamon Raisin Apple Kuchen
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 417.8
- Calories from Fat 152
- Total Fat 16.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 127.7 mg
- Sodium 98.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 41.7 g
- Protein 4.9 g