From Lowfat Living cookbook. Wonderful spread on whole grain bread. Try this on slices of Granny Smith apples! Ideal for car trips, brunches or picnics!
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened (or 1 cup tofu cream cheese)
- 1 teaspoon real maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (read *NOTE) or 1⁄4 cup currants (read *NOTE)
- 1⁄4 cup toasted walnuts or 1⁄4 cup toasted almonds or 1⁄4 cup toasted hazelnuts, finely chopped
- *NOTE: If you wish, you can coarsely chop the raisins before adding to the other ingredients. I preferred the texture better when the raisins were chopped.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, maple syrup, lemon zest, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix until creamy and smooth.
- Stir in the raisins and nuts. Cover well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Taste and adjust seasonings before serving.