Recipe by Sharron
This is the best cinnamon bread you can find. The smell in the house while it is cooking is enough to drive you crazy. It is so moist and delicious. The kids love to have this waiting for after school snack or breakfast or dinner.
Top Review by waynejohn1234
This has been my basic cinnamon bread recipe for years. I do make a few slight changes and use 1/2 butter rather than all shortening. Seems to give it more flavor and a better texture. I also cut back on the baking soda to 1/2 tsp. It is an almost failproof recipe and keeps very well.SORRY I made an error in the baking soda amount. Should read 1 tsp.
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups buttermilk
For Cinnamon Swirl
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, baking power, baking soda and salt.
- Set aside.
- Combine shortening and sugar.
- Mix together then add eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in sifted flour mixture and buttermilk.
- Mix until smooth.
- Pour 1/3 into greased loaf pan.
- Mix together sugar and cinnamon for swirl.
- Swirl 1/3 of mixture into each layer of batter with knife.
- Don't swirl the cinnamon into top layer of batter.
- Lightly dust it over the top for a crusted effect.
- Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.