From Esperanza's Cafe (Joe T. Garcia's Bakery), Fort Worth courtesy of Texas Monthly magazine.
Make and share this Cinnamon-Pumpkin Empanadas ( Empanadas De Calabazas) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (1/2 ounce) packages dry yeast (4 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups flour, divided in half
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- For the filling: Mix ingredients together and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine water, sugar, salt, yeast, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Using an electric mixer, gradually blend in half of the flour.
- Add shortening and thoroughly mix, then gradually blend in remaining flour.
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts, then shape each of those parts into 4 dough balls.
- Slap the dough balls between the palms of your well-floured hands until somewhat flattened, then roll out on a floured surface into circles approximately 4 inches in diameter and 1/8-inch thick.
- Put about 1 1/2 tablespoons of pumpkin filling in the center of each circle, fold over, and seal edges by moistening slightly and pressing lightly with a fork on both sides.
- Bake on a greased cookie sheet until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes (watch carefully as they can burn quickly).