1/4 Photos of Cinnamon-Pumpkin Empanadas ( Empanadas De Calabazas)
From Esperanza's Cafe (Joe T. Garcia's Bakery), Fort Worth courtesy of Texas Monthly magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- 1For the filling: Mix ingredients together and set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Combine water, sugar, salt, yeast, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- 4Using an electric mixer, gradually blend in half of the flour.
- 5Add shortening and thoroughly mix, then gradually blend in remaining flour.
- 6Divide dough into 4 equal parts, then shape each of those parts into 4 dough balls.
- 7Slap the dough balls between the palms of your well-floured hands until somewhat flattened, then roll out on a floured surface into circles approximately 4 inches in diameter and 1/8-inch thick.
- 8Put about 1 1/2 tablespoons of pumpkin filling in the center of each circle, fold over, and seal edges by moistening slightly and pressing lightly with a fork on both sides.
- 9Bake on a greased cookie sheet until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes (watch carefully as they can burn quickly).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cinnamon-Pumpkin Empanadas ( Empanadas De Calabazas)
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 231.0
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 188.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 4.8 g