Recipe by Annacia
This creamy custard is the ultimate fall dessert. Serve it at your next dinner party or as a sweet ending for a romantic dinner for two. It has a 2-24 hr chill time.
Top Review by weekend cooker
Great simple to make dessert with no hassle. Made this with regular evaporated milk. The allspice gives this great flavor, just enough, and not overpowering. I also used eggs, rather than the egg subsitute, that's what I had on hand, and chilled for about 18 hours. The flavor was very nice, and we just loved this. Made for New Zaar Tag.
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute or 2 slightly beaten eggs
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk (1-1/2 cups, it can be fat free)
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl combine pumpkin, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, and allspice.
- Stir in evaporated milk and pour into a 9-inch quiche dish.
- Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- BEFORE SERVING: let custard stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for caramelized sugar, in a heavy 8-inch skillet heat the granulated sugar over medium-high heat until sugar begins to melt, shaking skillet occasionally to heat sugar evenly.
- Do not stir!.
- Once sugar starts to melt, reduce heat to low; cook about 5 minutes more or until all of the sugar is melted and golden, now stirring as needed with a wooden spoon.
- Quickly drizzle caramelized sugar over the custard.
- Serve immediately.