Recipe by pines506
These are really good. I don't like coffee, so I just make a plain glaze. Cook time includes rising time.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat dry milk solid
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup soft butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, soft
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup unsifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons hot coffee
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast in the water.
- Add dry milk; stir.
- Let stand 5 minutes until yeast foams.
- Beat in sugar, 1/3 cup butter, salt, egg and 2 cups flour until smooth and glossy.
- Beat in 1 cup more flour and let dough stand for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup flour over dough; turn out onto board and knead until smooth and satiny, adding flour just to prevent stickiness.
- Turn dough into oil bowl, cover and let rise until doubled, 1 to 2 hours.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured board and roll to 12 by 14 inches.
- Spread half of the dough with 4 tbsp.
- soft butter.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over butter.
- Fold unfilled dough over filling and press edges together.
- Cut into 12 equal strips.
- Roll strips into 20-inch smooth strands.
- Twist into pretzel shape and place on baking sheet and let rise until doubled.
- Bake at 375 for 10 to 13 minutes or until golden and brush with glaze.
- Glaze: Mix powdered sugar with butter or margarine and enough coffee to make a smooth, but not thin icing.
- It will melt over the hot pretzels to glaze them.