Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe has been in my family for many years. I make them often and hope they will be a hit with your family too.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup hot mashed potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (110 to 115 degrees)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cream
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- confectioners' sugar icing, optional
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and mashed potatoes.
- Add water and yeast; mix well.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for one hour.
- Meanwhile, combine filling ingredients and set aside.
- Stir dough down;mix in butter, eggs and salt.
- Gradually stir in flour.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface;knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Divide dough in half.
- On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 12in.
- by 12 inch square.
- Divide filling and spread over each square to within 1 inch of the edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style.
- Place in a greased 9 by 9inch baking pan.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until golden.
- Drizzle with a confectioners sugar icing if desired.