Recipe by Fairy Nuff
A perfect cake for picnics, this cuts well and may also be served warm with whipped cream. An Australian recipe posted for Zaar World Tour 2005
Top Review by Daydream
A delicious cake. My only criticism is that Step 7 omits to mention placing the cake batter into the tin. Some of my topping fell off too, and I wonder if some of it could be sandwiched between two layers of batter before baking. I may try this next time....and there will be a next time. Thanks for posting Fairy.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mixed nuts (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 125 g butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Mix 1/4 cup sugar with the nuts and cinnamon and set aside.
- Cream the butter with the remaining sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and lemon juice. Beat well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Add 1/4 of the flour mix and 1/4 of the sour cream to the butter mix, beating lightly. Continue adding in 1/4's until all ingredients are combined.
- Grease a 23cm square cake tin and line with paper. Pour batter into pan, sprinkle with the reserved cinnamon mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let sit in pan for 10-15 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.