Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is from Women's Day Magazine October 2007. I haven't tried it yet, but putting it on here for safe keeping!
- 1⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup quick-cooking oats, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces reduced-fat sour cream
- Mix brown sugar, oats, flour and cinnamon in small bowl. Add butter and water, rub between fingers until evenly moistened. Stir in pecans; press together to form small clumps.
- Heat oven to 350°F Line a 9 x 13 baking pan with nonstick foil. Let ends of foil extend about 2 inches above pan on short sides.
- Beat sugar, butter, spices, vanilla, baking soda, and salt in large bowl with mixer 3 minutes until blended. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Alternately beat in flours with sour cream on slow speed until just blended.
- Spread batter evenly in pan, sprinkle with streusel and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Lift cake by foil ends onto cutting board and cut into 24 squares.
I made several changes to the recipe, white flour only, yogurt instead of sour cream, jumbo eggs 2 whole+1 white. I doubled the streusel. Next time in the cake I will double the spices and/or use part brown sugar. It was a bit plain for my taste. I will make this again.
Very good cake. I think that the alllspice makes it different from other streusel cakes. I did add a splash of milk to the batter just to make it a little moister for my husband and it came out very good. Made for Bevy Tag.
Shelby this is a very light textured cake - almost to the point a bit more moisture to hold it together would not be a bad thing. Overall the flavors are excellent - nice spices and the wheat flour just gives it another notch up. With your permission I used almonds in place of the pecans and it turned out wonderful in the topping! I love that this cake is not overly sweet so it makes a perfect breakfast treat but also a nice light dessert with coffee. So glad I tagged this is Photo Tag.