Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Note that this recipe calls for either walnuts or almonds and either water or creme de cacao. Use the the almonds and creme de cacao for making Chocolate-Almond Pie (Chocolate-Almond Pie). From Bon Appetit
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts or 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons ice water (or more) or 2 tablespoons dark Creme de Cacao, chilled (or more)
- Blend flour, nuts, sugar, cinnamon and salt in processor until nuts are coarsely ground.
- Add chilled butter and vegetable shortening.
- Using on/off turns, process until coarse crumbs form.
- Add 2 tablespoons ice water or chilled crème de cacao.
- Process dough until small moist clumps form, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry.
- Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk.
- Wrap dough disk in plastic.
- Refrigerate until cold enough to roll out, about 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough on floured work surface to 12-inch round.
- Transfer dough to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish.
- Press dough into dish.
- Fold overhang under.
- Crimp edges decoratively.
- Cover and chill until cold, about 30 minutes.
- (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.).
- Makes one 9-inch crust.
Oh wow...made this into a Peach pie with a buttery crumb topping and served with whipped cream. Thought I was in hog heaven! Great crust Bev! TY