Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I have made several batches of this stuff. You can find recipes all over the internet, but this one works best for me. My favorites are the ones that really look like cookies (they make the kids and husbands crazy). This is a good craft project for kids too!
- For decorating: Tulip puffy fabric paint in matte white, white acrylic paint, white glue, beads or glitter, cookie cutters.
- Pour cinnamon in a bowl and gradually add applesauce and stir until mixture forms a stiff dough.
- Using extra cinnamon as "flour" roll out the dough to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out shapes with cookie cutters.
- Using a straw or skewer punch a hole at the top of the ornament.
- Bake at 200°F on a parchment lined baking pan.
- Until ornaments are very dry and very hard.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- The Tulip paint looks exactly like Royal icing so you can make inedible"cookies" to decorate your tree with (like those big Martha Stewart ones).
- They last a very long time and do not attract insects.
- If you use a cookie cutter that will imprint a design on your "cookies" you can use a dry paint brush with white acrylic paint to give your "cookies" a powdered sugar look.
- Or you can decorate your ornaments with beads and glitter to add sparkle to your holiday.
- Bottom line: they are easy and inexpensive to make, plus they smell GREAT!
Very frustrating. I could not get dough just right. Plus this recipe only made 4 ornaments. I ended up ditching this and using another recipe on zaar.
We love this recipe~we used hand cookie cutters and bent down the ring and middle fingers leaving the pointer, thumb, and pinky up saying "I love You" in sign language~the parents loved this and it made the Sunday School Classroom smell YUMMY!!! You can also trace the childs hand or foot and make it really personal!!
I made these ornaments with my preschool children, it was fabulous. They had a great time making them and we decorated them with elmers glitter glue. They will make great gifts for the grandparents. Thanks!