1/1 Photo of Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread
2 hrs 20 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
This is a delicious bread from Bernard Clayton's Complete Book of Breads. It is moist, sweet and cinnamon-y enough to cause our pastor's family to fight over who got to finish it off at breakfast when I gave them a loaf! Preparation time includes rising.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare 2 medium loaf pans (greased or non-stick).
- 2In a large bowl, mix together the rolled oats and boiling water. Stir to blend and add the butter, honey, brown sugar, salt and raisins. Let the mixture cool to no more than 130 degrees.
- 3Add the yeast. Add the eggs and two cups flour.
- 4With a wooden spoon or the mixer flat beater, stir vigorously for 2-3 minutes.
- 5Work in additional flour, 1/2 cup at a time, with the spoon first, then with your hands - or dough hook, if you are using a mixer.
- 6The dough will become a soft mass that can be picked up and placed on the work surface, or left under the hook.
- 7Knead with a strong push-turn-fold rhythm, adding flour if the dough is slack or wet and sticky. Knead for 8 minutes, or until the dough is soft and elastic. If under the dough hook in the mixer, add sprinkles of flour if the dough should cling to the sides of the bowl.
- 8First rising:.
- 9Place the dough in a buttered bowl, cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a towel and put the dough aside to rise at room temperature until double in bulk (about one hour - or shorter if using rapid-rise yeast).
- 11Turn the dough out of the bowl and divide into 2 pieces.
- 12With the hands and a rolling pin, shape each piece into a rectangle about 8 inches wide and 12 inches long.
- 13Butter the dough and sprinkle on the sugar and cinnamon.
- 14Roll up the dough as for a jelly roll, and press the seams securely together.
- 15Drop each into a pan, seam down, and push into the corners and ends with your fingers.
- 16Second rising:.
- 17Cover the pans with wax paper and put aside to rise till the center of the dough rises above the edge of the pan (about 45 minutes - less if using rapid-rise yeast).
- 18Preheat the oven to 375 degrees 20 minutes before baking.
- 19Bake on the middle rack of the oven till the crusts are nicely browned, about 40 minutes. (I always check sooner than that to make sure they don't overbake).
- 20The bottom crust may be sticky with the melted sugar (which will harden as the loaf cools), but tap the crust to make certain it sounds hard and hollow.
- 21When the loaves come out of the oven, brush with melted butter and turn out onto a metal rack to cool before serving.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1548 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2167.6
- Calories from Fat 417
- Total Fat 46.3 g
- Saturated Fat 24.5 g
- Cholesterol 303.0 mg
- Sodium 2663.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 400.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.5 g
- Sugars 155.9 g
- Protein 45.0 g