Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Garnish this breakfast treat with strawberries and whipped cream.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together.
- Beat the sugar and shortening in a mixing bowl until creamy, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Beat in the flavorings.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the milk and flour mixture alternately, beginning and ending with the milk and beating at low speed just until the ingredients are blended.
- Fold in walnuts.
- Spoon the batter in a well greased and floured tube pan.
- Bake 75 to 80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Invert onto a cake plate, removing the outer rim and leaving the tube in the cake for 20-30 minutes longer.
- Remove the tube and cut into slices.
- Garnish each serving with fresh whipped cream and fresh fruit.
- NOTE: To help release the cake from the pan, carefully run a small metal spatula or butter knife around the edge of the cake.