Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
A lovely muffin from Irma Rombauer's wonderful book, "The Joy of Cooking".
For the muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt (not non-fat)
- 2⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 -6 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
For the topping
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line standard muffin tin with paper cups, or grease thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, brown sugar, oil, vanilla, and cinnamon (if using).
- Carefully add flour mixture, blending just until moistened. (Resist the urge to over-mix! Batter is not suppose to be smooth).
- Divide batter among the muffin cups. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in one of the muffins comes out clean.
- While the muffins are backing, melt the butter in a small bowl. In a separate small, shallow bowl, combine white sugar and cinnamon.
- As soon as the muffins are finished baking, dip them one at a time into the melted butter. Roll (if using paper muffin cups: dip) them in the cinnamon sugar mixture, then set on a rack to cool.
DELICIOUS! These taste kind of like a snickerdoodle, which I happen to adore. I did add more cinnamon, probably close to a tablespoon, and I used more in the topping as well, again probably close to a tablespoon. I had a little leftover butter but barely enough cinnamon/sugar, so next time I would probably use 3 T. butter and increase the cinnamon/sugar by half. These are just fantastic, I will absolutely be making them again. Made for PAC Spring '11.
I have made this recipe several times now, and everyone loves it. I have tweaked it a little bit; I put 1 Tbsp Cinnamon and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla, and instead of the melted butter/cinnamon sugar I use sugar gems for sparkle and a yummy crunchy topping.
These were FANTASTIC! Everything seemed to work out to the perfect proportions for me :) . I did add cinnamon (1 tbls.) to the muffin itself. made for Spring PAC,2011.