Moist, rich and chocolatey; flavored with cinnamon and espresso coffee. I first made this when I was 14 and it was gone in no time! It's still a family favorite!
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder (or granules) or 2 tablespoons regular instant coffee powder (or granules)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Melt the butter in saucepan.
- Stir in cocoa, water and coffee. Beat until smooth.
- Combine granulated and brown sugars, flour, cinnamon and baking soda.
- Add the cocoa mixture, vanilla, milk, and eggs. Mix until well blended.
- Pout into a greased 10 by 15-inch jelly roll pan (a cookie sheet with sides).
- Bake at 350 F for 18 minutes or until done.
- Cool in pan.
- Make the icing by melting butter in saucepan. Stir in the cocoa, coffee and cinnamon with the milk.
- Mix until smooth.
- Slowly beat in the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.Ice the cake.
- Cut into 32 pieces.
Yay! This is an awesome cake! One of my favorite cakes. The perfect blend of coffee, chocolate, and cinnamon. I had lost this recipe and thought I would try finding it online. So glad I found it. Can't wait to make it for the family for Christmas! One note, if the frosting seems too runny, don't worry, it's not-just pour it on, it will turn out right when it cools.
I was looking for a chocolate sheet cake recipe that called for espresso powder, and this fit the bill! It was easy to whip up, and was a hit with the family! They are already requesting (no, demanding!) another one, so it must be good! Thanks so much! :-)
This sheet cake is outstanding! I printed this off over a year ago and my only regret is that I didn't make it sooner. I wanted to take this to a potluck so I tried it on my family first. It was a great success. The espresso makes the chocolate flavor even richer and when this cake is cold it has a nice moist, dense texture. I made this during the holidays three times. Wonderful!