Delicious Italian Biscotti recipe that tastes like a cup of fresh cappuccino. Great as a Christmas gift too. Just wrap a biscotto in cellophane and tie with a bow.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso or 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup cinnamon baking chips (If cinnamon chips are unavailable in your area, use an additional 1/2 cup miniature chocolate morsel)
- Preheat oven to 325°F on convection bake setting.
- note that if you do not have a convection oven setting baking times will have to be increased a bit at all stages in the recipe.
- Combine butter, sugars and espresso or coffee granules in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and mix briefly.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and mix until well blended.
- Fold in pecans, chocolate morsels and cinnamon chips.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop dough out onto paper and form into a large rectangle, ¾-inch thick.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until firm.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes.
- Use a serrated knife to cut the dough into ½-inch thick slices.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and return to the oven for 8 minutes.
- Turn and bake 8 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on wire racks before storing in an airtight container.