Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very moist quick bread recipe; great for breakfast! This keeps well, but we rarely have any left over for the second day. Can be made with yogurt instead of sour cream and still tastes yummy!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the 1 cup sugar and the shortening until thoroughly combined and lightened.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Blend in sour cream and milk.
- Stir together flour, salt, powder and soda; add to creamed mixture.
- Mix just until thoroughly combined.
- Spread 1/4 of the batter into each of two well-greased loaf pans.
- (I use 7"x3" pans, but you can also use the more common 8"x3" pans.) Combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle all but 1 tablespoon over the batter in pans.
- Top each with remaining batter.
- Cut through the batter gently with knife to make the cinnamon swirl throughout.
- Do not over mix.
- Sprinkle remaining sugar mixture over the top.
- Bake 30-40 minutes, or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
- Try to let them cool before cutting.
- (My family always has a hard time waiting--).
Yummy cinnamon bread! Very moist, almost like a coffee cake. I made slight alterations: a handful of raisins, and 2 tsp of cinnamon added to the batter in addition to that in the topping. I baked one large loaf since I didn't have the little ones. It baked for 50 minutes. Thanks for a great recipe! We will make this one again.