Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A coffee cake with the haunting flavor of lime. This is a nice change from all the lemon and orange based coffee cakes out there. Pecans or macadamias work just as well as the walnuts in the cinnamon layers. Note that the recipe calls for 3/8 cup finely chopped nuts, NOT 3/8 cup nuts finely chopped. Big difference. And yes the bake time for loaf tins is the same a Bunt pan.
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄8 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla flavor instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 drops lime oil
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 drop lime oil
- Place rack in the center position in the oven and preheat the oven to 350.
- Lightly mist a 12 cup Bundt pan or 2 loaf tins with vegetable oil spray, then dust with flour.
- Shake out the excess flour.
- For the filling, combine the brownsugar, cinnamon, and chopped nuts.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Set aside.
- Place the cake ingredients in a large bowl.
- Blend, with an electric mixer on low speed, for 1 minute.
- Stop mixer and scrape down sides of bowl.
- Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour 1/3 of the batter into prepared pan (s).
- Scatter 1/2 of the filling over the batter.
- Pour another 1/3 batter over the filling.
- Scatter the remaining filling over the batter.
- Pour last 1/3 of batter over filling and smooth out surface.
- Place pan in the oven.
- Bake the cake (s) until golden brown and cake (s) spring back when lightly pressed with a finger, 55 to 60 minutes.
- Remove the pan (s) from the oven and place on a cooling rack for 20 minutes.
- Run a long sharp knife around the edge of the cake (s) and invert onto a rack.
- Allow to cool completely.
- 30 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze.
- Place the glaze ingredients in a small bowl and stir until smooth.
- Spoon glaze over the top of cooled cake so that it drizzles down the sides.
- Slice and serve.
- Store covered.
- Will keep up to a week at room temperature.
- Will heep frozen for 6 months.