Prep 10 mins
Cook 13 mins
My son's favorite cookie, and it's a fool-proof recipe. Originally from Faye Moon, voted best cook in "A Taste Of The Country" cookbook.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 1⁄3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup shortening, and
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- Stir together flour, baking soda, powder, salt, cinnamon and oats; mix in nuts. Set aside.
- Cream together shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add molasses, vanilla and eggs to creamed mixture; beat well.
- Stir in dry ingredients until blended.
- Drop from small spoon on ungreased cookie sheets. Press flat with fork.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes (longer baking time yields crunchier cookies).