Recipe by susie cooks
I got this recipe from a cooking class about gourmet gifts from the kitchen at Sur la Table. It really is very nice. I have put these in baskets filled with other "gifts from the kitchen" for my neighbors at holiday time.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 8 allspice berries, ground
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves, ground
- 2 cups unseasoned rice vinegar
- 12 plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, heat the oil and saute the onions over medium heat until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add the sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves, and stir together.
- Deglaze the pan with the vinegar, bringing it almost to a boil.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cider, and salt. reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and puree.
- Stir in the orange juice, and add a little water if necessary to reach the desired consistency.
- This will keep for 3-4 months in the refrigerator.