Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
I found this in my newspaper. It is originally from "The Perfect Scoop" by David Lebovitz.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 pinch salt
- 30 inches cinnamon sticks
- 5 large egg yolks
- Warm the milk, sugar, salt, cinnamon sticks and 1 cup of the cream in a medium saucepan. Once warm, cover, remove from the heat and let steep at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Rewarm the cinnamon-infused milk mixture. Remove the cinnamon sticks with a slotted spoon and discard them. Pour the remaining one cup cream into a large bowl with a spout or measuring cup and set a mesh strainer on top.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Spoon several spoonfuls of the warm cinnamon-infused milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Then scrape the egg-yolk mixture into the saucepan with the remaining milk mixture and place it over medium heat. Stir the constantly with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer into the cream. Mix well and chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, preferably overnight, and then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufaturer's instructions.