Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 piece vanilla beans (small) or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pint whole milk, plus
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream, plus
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- If you're using the vanilla bean, split it and scrape the inside.
- Put the vanilla bean and scrapings (or extract) in a saucepan, with milk and 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Cover saucepan and bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Remove the vanilla bean.
- Beat 6 egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until pale and able to form a ribbon.
- Slowly beat the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture.
- Place the mixture over low to medium heat and stirring constantly, bring to 183 to 187 degrees F, until thick and evenly and thickly coats the back of a spoon.
- Immediately remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Stir in the cinnamon.
- Freeze ice cream in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers instructions.
- Remove to a sealable container.
- Keep in the freezer.