Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This comes from the supermarket IGA's booklet the Pleasures of Cheese. i've actually tried this and loved it. This makes for a good dessert, especially when you're thinking of doing something low fat, and healthy.
- 2 cups sliced apples or 2 cups pears or 2 cups strawberries or 2 cups blueberries or 2 cups peaches or 2 cups apricots, etc, your choice
- 1⁄3 lb canadian swiss cheese, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Divide fruit evenly among 4 ramekins or small gratin dishes.
- Cover with cheese slices. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Heat in oven until cheese melts. Serve immediately (it says to serve with fancy cookies, but I didn't do that).
- Variation: to change the taste of cheese, use Gouda, Cheddar or Oka instead.
- Note: I used apples, bananas, pears and peaches. I didn't use any berries, although I wished I did. But you could since it requires any combination of fruits that you like.
What a unique dessert. I used apples and Gouda and microwaved the apples for 45 seconds to soften them before putting the recipe together. The result was very tasty and it was a shoe in with DH who greatly loves apple desserts. If you sometimes like to try something a bit less common don't be afraid to give this a try. :D
This was a nice and easy dessert. I used a combo of frozen berries that had been thawed. I think that fresh berries at their peak would be great in this. I liked the idea of a cheese topping but I think I might cook the fruit in a little honey and cornstarch before baking to thicken it a little. Nice combination of flavors! :-)