Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are crispy and spicy; serve with tea or coffee.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup well packed light brown sugar or 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- flour, for dusting
- Mix all ingredients except additional flour in large bowl until smooth, using wooden spoon. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Remove half the dough from refrigerator and place on ungreased baking sheet. Pat into a smooth 4 to 5 inch square. Dust with additional all purpose flour and roll out on baking sheet to 10 x 12 inch rectangle.
- Cut into 2-inch squares, leaving dough in place on baking sheet. Prick entire surface with a fork.
- Bake until golden, 7 to 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough. Re-cut while hot if necessary. Cool on baking sheet. Crackers crisp as they cool.
- Store crackers in airtight containers. Makes about 5 dozen.
- Great Whole Grain Breads Beatrice Ojakangas.