Recipe by ladypit
I am always trying to find ways to get more fruits and vegetables into my diet and my childrens' diet. This was a lovely dessert. I make it in 1 big bowl (much easier for a busy mom) but you could put it in 6 small ramekins for a prettier presentation. Adapted from a recipe in "Hey Mom! I'm Hungry!" by Susan Powter.
Top Review by cookiedog
This was very easy to make and really good. I especially loved the bananas in this. The apples maintained their crunch and the cloud of meringue made this extra special. Thank you for sharing this recipe ladypit!
- 2 firm bananas
- 2 apples
- 1 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450.
- Slice the bananas and chop the apples.
- Combine all the fruit in a large oven-proof bowl or casserole.
- Add the honey through the lemon juice and mix well.
- Beat the egg whites until they are nice and frothy.
- Slowly add the sugar while beating.
- Beat to stiff peaks.
- Spread the meringue over the top of the fruit, sealing all the fruit inches.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes or until the top of the meringue is mildly browned.
- Can be served warm or cold.