Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Cook’s Illustrated
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄8 tablespoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon (or to taste)
- In standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat butter at medium-high speed until smooth, about 20 seconds.
- Add confectioners’ sugar and salt; beat at medium-low speed until most of the sugar is moistened, about 45 seconds.
- Scrape down bowl and beat at medium speed until mixture is fully combined, about 15 seconds.
- Scrape bowl, add vanilla, cinnamon, and heavy cream, and beat at medium speed until incorporated, about 10 seconds.
- Then increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, scraping down bowl once or twice.
This could possibly be the best frosting I have ever tasted. I put this on apple cinnamon cupcakes. OMG!!! It was deeeelish!!!
I made this yesterday and served on moist white cupcakes -- it was fabulous! I used homemade rum-based vanilla extract and added a bit more than the recipe required. These were definitely "grown up" cupcakes! I look forward to making this frosting again -- it's a nice twist on a standard buttercream (and I appreciate the 1:2 butter/sugar ratio -- most recipes have FAR too much sugar). Thanks Roxanne!!