10 hrs 30 mins
This recipes is from a column in the (Raleigh NC) News & Observer by Beverly Mills & Alicia Ross of Desperation Dinners and was suggested to be served for Grandparents' Day (Sept 10th). I haven't made it yet but will try it next weekend when the grandbabies are here. The oldest likes to "help" me cook and I think this would be a good recipe to do w/ her.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1 lb) cinnamon-swirl bread (*, for appx 16 cups cubed)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (3 oz) or 3/4 cup pecans (3 oz)
- maple syrup, for serving
- sliced fresh berries, for serving (optional)
- 1Spray a 9x13" baking dish or glass pan that is safe to go into a hot oven when its cold (such as pyrex or corningware).
- 2Cut bread into bite-sized cubes; place 1 1/2 c of cubes into quart sized ziploc bag and remaining cubes into baking dish. Set aside.
- 3Whisk eggs well in a 2qt bowl; whisk in half-and-half, milk, and vanilla and pour over bread cubes in casserole dish.
- 4Press the bread cubes down into the egg mixture to make sure they are all moistened.
- 5Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours up to 24 hours.
- 6When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375*.
- 7Place butter in a microwave-safe dish; cover with a paper towel and nuke for 30-45 seconds until almost melted. Remove and stir until completely melted.
- 8Add nuts to bag of reserved bread cubes, then pour melted butter into bag. Seal and shake until the bread and nuts are coated w/ butter.
- 9Uncover the casserole dish and press the bread cubes down w/ the back of a spoon to remoisten.
- 10Scatter the bread cubes/nut mixture over the top, using a spoon to evenly distribute.
- 11Bake, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes until lightly browned on top and puffed. (Baking time will vary depending on how cold the dish is.).
- 12Let casserole sit for 5-10 minutes before serving. The casserole will settle and deflate a bit as it stands.
- 13To serve:.
- 14Cut into squares, place on individual plates, and pass maple syrup to drizzle on top. Serve with sliced strawberries or other berries or a mixture of berries, if desired.
- 15*NOTE: Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon-Swirl bread with or without raisins works well in this recipe.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cinnamon French Toast Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.8
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 198.1 mg
- Sodium 141.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 9.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: