Recipe by Thorsten
Sometimes I have a craving for cinnamon bread. This easy and fast to make cinnamon flat bread can be served for breakfast or with glass of milk, a cup of coffee or tea. It is tasty on its own, but you can serve it with your favorite jam, peanut butter, or some fresh cheese. It is not overly sweet. The whole spelt flour adds a delicate nutty note, but you can also use whole wheat flour.
Top Review by LUv 2 BaKE
This bread was excellent. The dough was so easy to work with and rolled out beautifully. I rolled out my dough thin enough that it was slightly too big for a 10x15" baking sheet. This made the bread the perfect thinness in my opinion. I used half of the cayenned pepper, but think i'll use the full amount next time. I love that this bread is made with all spelt flour. The little bit of sugar with the cinnamon gave the perfect sweetness for a breakfast bread. It is also delcious with peanut butter!! Thanks Thorsten!
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (see note)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all dry ingredients for the dough in a bowl and add the milk. Mix with slightly floured hands until dough is formed. Knead dough for 5 minutes with slightly floured hands. Let rest dough for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven (480°F, 250°C). Put the baking tray into the oven. So it will be heated up, too.
- On a slightly floured working plat form roll out the dough with a rolling pin. It should be thin (as thinner you roll it as crispier it will get during baking). Place the dough on baking paper (size of the baking tray).
- Mix egg yolk and milk. Brush the dough with this mixture.
- Mix brown sugar, grounded cinnamon and grounded cayenne pepper. Sprinkle the dough with this mixture.
- Put dough (on baking paper) on the baking tray in the oven and bake for about 5 - 10 minutes. The bread should be done within 5 minutes and will be soft. If you like it more crispier let it bake for up to 10 minutes. During baking the bread will develop several "bubbles".
- Take the cinnamon flat bread out of the oven and let cool on a cooling rack. Cut into pieces and serve.
- NOTE (28 April 2006): you can omit the cayenne pepper, if you don't like it. But I would recommend it, because that spicy taste goes well together with cinnamon. If you are hesitant, just try it with a pinch of cayenne pepper first (I added this note after BestTeenChef has reviewed the recipe. Thanks for the comment).