Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
My mother gave me this recipe and it is really good...
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut in 1/2-inch pcs
- sift flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon in medium bowl.set aside.
- stir together sugar, and 3/4 cup water in large pan.over medium heat.
- cook without stirring still sugar begins to melt and turns to amber color -- about 14 minutes.
- continue to cook, stirring occasionally.about 2 minutes more or medium amber.
- work butter into flour till crumbly.
- whisk butter into flour till crumbly.
- forming a well in the center of the flour mixture -- pour in egg.
- stir gently with fork till combined.
- remove sugar mixture from heat, slowly whisk in cider.
- return to heat.bring to simmer.
- using hands, divide dough into 12 pieces.roll into balls --
- drop balls into cider.cook, turning over once or twice until tripled in size and golden brown.
- remove with slotted spoon to a platter and cover.
- repeat with remaining dough.
- drizzle with remaining syrup.
- top with cool whip -- .
Can't get past the sugar part. We tried twice and both times, the water magically disappeared ( around 12 minutes in on medium heat) and the sugar blows up into this weird white crystallized mess. Help!
YUM! Very easy and tasty too. Thanks