Recipe by grandma2969
My mother gave me this recipe and it is really good...
Top Review by Ryan G.
Can't get past the sugar part. We tried twice and both times, the water magically disappeared ( around 12 minutes in on medium heat) and the sugar blows up into this weird white crystallized mess. Help!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut in 1/2-inch pcs
Directions See How It's Made
- sift flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon in medium bowl.set aside.
- stir together sugar, and 3/4 cup water in large pan.over medium heat.
- cook without stirring still sugar begins to melt and turns to amber color -- about 14 minutes.
- continue to cook, stirring occasionally.about 2 minutes more or medium amber.
- work butter into flour till crumbly.
- whisk butter into flour till crumbly.
- forming a well in the center of the flour mixture -- pour in egg.
- stir gently with fork till combined.
- remove sugar mixture from heat, slowly whisk in cider.
- return to heat.bring to simmer.
- using hands, divide dough into 12 pieces.roll into balls --
- drop balls into cider.cook, turning over once or twice until tripled in size and golden brown.
- remove with slotted spoon to a platter and cover.
- repeat with remaining dough.
- drizzle with remaining syrup.
- top with cool whip -- .