Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This makes a huge amount of cupcakes, I am sure that you could freeze some and frost them later. I made these recently and baked them in fancy foil muffin liners, and took them to a senior's home, they were enjoyed by the residents and the staff, everyone wanted this recipe! I frosted these with my buttercream frosting, Kittencal's Bakery Buttercream Frosting/Icing with a teaspoon of almond extract added in to it but you can use your favorite frosting recipe to top these cupcakes
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups freshly brewed coffee, cooled to room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare regular muffin tins and line with paper liners.
- In a bowl sift together flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a extra large bowl combine sugar, coffee, buttermilk, oil, eggs, egg yolks and vanilla; beat well with an electric mixer until thoroughly combined (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add in the dry ingredients; beat on medium speed until blended, scraping bowl occasionally (about 4 minutes).
- Stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter evenly between the prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until puffed and the center is just firm to the touch.
- Transfer the cupcakes to racks and cool completely before frosting.
Oh Kit - AWESOME cupcakes!!! used Chocolate Buttercream Frosting for the frosting. Made half the recipe and used a bit less sugar. Loved the coffee in these muffins!! Used low-fat milk and added a bit of lemon juice to make buttermilk. Also used some chocolate kisses instead of chocolate chips... Thanks Kit! :)