Recipe by Jellyqueen
Don't be put off by the steps involved in making these pickles. It is not really hard at all, just takes a few minutes of planning time to work out the cooking when it is best for your schedule. The end results are well worth the effort. People do not believe that these are cucumber pickles. Most people think they are cinnamon apple rings.
- 7 lbs cucumbers
- 1 cup pickling lime
- 1 gallon water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 (1 ounce) bottle red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon alum
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 12 cups sugar
- 8 cinnamon sticks
- 1 (12 ounce) package red-hot candies
Directions See How It's Made
- Select large overripe cucumbers.
- Peel, core, slice 1/3 inch thick and core out all seeds, leaving the cucumber in a ring.
- Soak in lime and 1 gallon water for 24 hours.
- Soak, covered with ice water for 3 hours.
- Mix 2 cup vinegar, food coloring, 1 tablespoon alum and enough water to cover.
- Pour over cucumbers and simmer for 2 hours.
- Pour off liquid.
- Bring to a boil 2 cups vinegar, 2 cups water, 12 cups sugar, cinnamon sticks and red hots.
- Pour over cucumbers and let stand for 24 hours.
- Pour syrup back into a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Put cucumbers in jars and pour hot syrup over cucumbers.
- Place 1 of the cinnamon sticks from the mixture in each jar.
- Process for 10 minutes in water bath for pints and 15 mintes for quarts.