Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
This is a high apple pie with a thick layer of delicious topping, this pie is just wonderful! I have even added in some cranberries with the apples, if you are adding in cranberries, then reduce the apples slightly. Use only Granny Smith apples for this pie, and other kind will become mushy when baked.
- 1 prepared pastry dough, for one crust (use your own favorite pastry recipe or see my Kittencal's No-Fail Buttery Flaky Pie Pastry/Crust)
- 4 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (or use all white sugar)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a 9-inch glass pie plate.
- For the filling: Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- For the topping: in a food processor blend the flour, both sugars, cinnamon and salt until blended.
- Add in the cold butter using on/off turns process until the mixture blended, but still a little coarse.
- Place the prepared pie pastry into the bottom of the pie dish leaving about 1-inch overhand.
- Turn the crust under and flute.
- Toss the apple mixture once again before mounding into the pastry, then mound the mixture into the center.
- Pack the topping over and around the apples.
- Place the pie onto a baking sheet to catch any spills.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes (covering top with foil if browning too quickly).
- After 40 minutes of baking, reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Bake for another 45 minutes, or until the apples feel firm-tender when pierced with a fork and the filling is bubbling around the edges.
- Cool for 1 hours before slicing.
This was my first homemade apple pie. Your recipe is so easy and onolicious. Finally feels like Fall on Maui. Tomorrow is Halloween. We will be enjoying this scrumptious apple pie with some French vanilla ice cream. Mahalo for the recipe.
Dear Kittencal: this is the BEST apple pie I have ever eaten. You post the BEST recipes - will you please adopt me? I also used a new crust recipe that compliments the spices in your recipe. The flavors are the best. Only change I made in the recipe was the apples, I used a combination of Honey Crisp, Jonagold, Golden Delicious and one other variety. I think it was a combination of tart, sweet, soft and firm. All I can say is FANTASTIC!!!
Oh YUM! Use the full 10 cups, not just 8 or your pie will fall a little more - I have made it twice and got lazy the second time and it wasn't as impressive with 8 cups. LOL! DEFINITELY cover with foil, maybe for even up to half an hour so as not to burn the top. For the topping, i just blended it all in a bowl w/a pastry blender and had no trouble with it whatsoever. ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! Thanks KittenCal!