Prep 5 hrs
Cook 12 mins
I can't remember where I found this recipie, very easy to make, russian Christmas recipe I believe
- 1 1⁄4 ounces active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (105-115 degrees F)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup of heavy whipping cream (or evaporated milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 egg whites
- 1 3⁄4 cups chopped walnuts
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in water in a bowl.
- Combine the flour and salt in a mixer bowl.
- With a heavy duty mixer at low speed or by hand, beat in the yeast mixture, egg yolks, cream and vanilla.
- Beat in the butter 2 tablespoons at a time.
- Wrap the dough and refrigerate it for 4 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile beat the egg whites to soft peaks.
- Fold in the egg whites, sugar and salt, then the walnuts. Should make about 1 2/3 cups
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2 cookie sheet with foil, grease foil.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle 1 heaping tablespoon of this mixture on a work surface, using it as you would flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces. Shape them into balls.
- Roll one ball into an 8 inch circle (refrigerate others until ready to use) turning to coat well with the cinnamon sugar you put down earlier.
- Cut into wedges.
- Place 1 level teaspoon of walnut filling on the outer edge of each wedge. Roll the wedges up from the outer edge.
- Transfer to the cookie sheet, curving each one into a crescent shape. Repeat with remaining dough, cinnamon sugar and filling.
- Bake 12 to 25 minutes, until browned and puffed.
- Cool on wire racks.