Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is a fun version of marshmallow-bound cereal bars using Cheerios with a surprising burst of cinnamon and chewy dried cranberries. To change it up a bit, Apple Cinnamon Cheerios could substitute for regular Cheerios. This was a big hit with my kids, and I have to say I quite enjoyed them as well. (Please note preparation time includes one hour of cooling time).
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 ounce) bag marshmallows
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 6 cups Cheerios toasted oat cereal (or other toasted oat cereal)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch cake pan and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add marshmallows and salt and stir constantly for about five minutes until marshmallows have melted. Stir in vanilla and cinnamon until fully incorporated. Remove from heat, and stir in cereal and dried cranberries until mixed thoroughly.
- Immediately transfer mixture to prepared cake pan. Using a spatula (or your hands) coated with cooking spray, press firmly into pan until an even depth is reached.
- Cool for about 1 hour, cut into 24 bars and enjoy.