From the Family Suppers cookbook which I sent to my swap partner FloridaNative. This is super!! I just had to try it. You can also make it a spicy cornbread by subbing out the cinnamon and adding 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes and reducing the sugar to 3 tbls instead of 1/3 cup. We loved it as cinnamon cornbread! I do not have a skillet, so I melted the butter in an 9-inch round baking stone (first step).
- Heat oven to 450°F In an 8 or 9 inch cast iron skillet, melt butter. (I do not have a skillet so used a 9 inch round baking stone). Tilt pan to coat the bottom and then pour the remaining butter into a glass measure.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cornmeal mix, flour, sugar and cinnamon.
- Add eggs and milk and stir until just blended. Then stir in remaining butter.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape the batter into the skillet and smooth the top.
- Bake until golden and springy to the touch in the center, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.