Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious! I make this on a weekly basis, and I grew up with it. This goes beautifully with some honey and/or butter.
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups stone-ground cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 -4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- rose water, to taste (optional)
- rosemary, to taste (optional)
- peppermint oil, to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Oil a 9x9 inch baking pan. Other sizes could probably work too, just watch your baking time so it doesn't burn.
- Stir all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Stir all wet ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Stir the wet and dry ingredients together. Keep the batter a bit lumpy.
- Pour batter into pan and sprinkle some extra cinnamon on top, swirling it into the batter slightly.
- Bake for 20-26 minutes until done. The center should spring back when touched. Let it sit 5-10 minutes before cutting, if you can resist!