Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
All the coffee cakes I make are flavoured with cinnamon. That's because of the natural affinity that cinnamon and coffee have the one for the other. This one is delicious!!!
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup corn oil
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter a 13 X 9 inch pyrex baking dish.
- Combine flour, sugars, oil, 2 ½ tsps cinnamon, ginger and salt in large bowl and blend well.
- Transfer ½ cup of this mixture to a small bowl.
- Stir in walnuts and ¾ tsp cinnamon and set aside.
- Add buttermilk, egg, baking powder and soda to remaining mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Sprinkle with nut mixture.
- Bake about 35 minutes.
- Serve warm or let cool.
Very good coffee cake which we enjoyed just the way it was written -- didn't change a thing. Thanks Evelyn for another winning coffee cake recipe!
I make this one a lot during the year, not just holidays. It is a very moist coffee cake and love the flavor.