Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is from the Everyday Food Magazine's first issue. An enjoyable breakfast or snack!!! My family loves it fresh and warm from the oven on Sunday morning.
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8x8 inch square pan.
- In a bowl combine the flour, ONLY the 3/4 C sugar, baking powder and the salt.
- Cut in the shortening.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of this mixture to a small bowl and add in the cinnamon and the remaining 2 Tbsp of Sugar, set this aside.
- Stir the egg and milk into the remaining mix in the larger bowl.
- Smooth the batter into the baking dish and smooth.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon mixture over the top and drizzle with the melted butter.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5* all the way. This cake has great flavor and is really moist - even the next day. I used 1 tablespoon of cinnamon but other than that followed the directions. Thanks so much for this recipe.
Very good! I used a bundt pan and added a little extra cinnamon & sugar to our taste.
I have looking for inexpensive treats made with ingredients I usually have on hand. This wonderful recipe certainly fits the bill! I added a little more cinnamon as suggested by other reviewers. I used 2 tsp which turned out to be plenty. I used the square 8" pan and the cake rose nice and tall. The topping was a nice thick layer, so no need to double as with some other recipes. I love that I do not need to make the crumb topping separately -- it is included in the recipe! Thanks!