Recipe by cook1000000
Top Review by HokiesMom
What a very nice coffee cake this turned out to be for my family! I followed the recipe exactly and used chopped almonds for the topping as my nut of choice. The cake is dense but still moist which is wonderful. Nice flavors. I think I would like a bit more topping or something so I may use more of a cinnamon sugar streusel topping instead of this one for the next go round. It does serve up nicely though as the cake really retains it's shape as you slice it. I doubled this recipe and made a 13x9" cake and it was perfect! No issues at all with doubling and just adjusted the baking time for 45-50 minutes and it was finished. Made this for the Pick A Chef Event 4/2009 where I "adopted" you as one of my chefs! Thanks for a keeper!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 2 eggs (separate egg yolks from whites)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons unbleached cane sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup nuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream sugar, butter, egg yolks and vanilla. Add flour,.
- sifted with baking powder and salt. Alternatively, mix.
- with milk. Fold in beaten egg whites (soft peaks) until.
- blended. Pour mixture into a buttered/floured 8 or 9.
- inch pan. Spread top with melted butter. Sprinkle sugar,.
- cinnamon and nuts. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for.
- 30-35 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out.