Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is so rich, moist and delicious. Fills the house with the wonderful aroma of cinnamon.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 3⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces sour cream (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and 2 c. sugar until fluffy.
- Add the vanilla; add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; add alternately with sour cream, beating just enough after each addition to keep batter smooth.
- Spoon one-third of the batter into a greased 10 inch tube pan.
- Combine the cinnamon, nuts, and remaining sugar; sprinkle one-third over batter in pan.
- Repeat layers two more times.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 70 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
This has been my "go to" cake for many years. Always reliable and stays moist. I ususally cut the recipe in half and use a loaf pan because there is just the 2 of us. Highly recommend this recipe for ease, moistness, flavor and popularity with most people.
This is a really good cake. It's even better on day two. The sour cream keeps it moist. I baked it in a 9X13 pan and cut 15 minutes off the baking time. It was easier to portion and freeze for future snacking in that pan.
I just took this cake out of the oven and it smells delicious! I am making it for my hubby's birthday and it's going to be a real success! I left out the walnuts due to personal taste, but apart from that I followed the recipe exactly. Excellent cake.