Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this on the internet a long time ago .. I printed it out along with 6 or 7 others, and still haven't made any of them because this one is just so good !!
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F, and spray a bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and the sugar using an electric mixer.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine salt, baking powder and flour.
- Mix the vanilla with the milk in another bowl.
- Add flour and milk alternately to the shortening mixture; I add about 1/3 at a time.
- Mix together sugar and cinnamon.
- Layer 1/3 of the batter into the pan, then 2 tablespoons of the sugar/cinnamon.
- Repeat twice.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until done.
I am sure the reason for the dryness is the use of shortening. Have made this cake and always used butter with very good results. Also, suggest you use full fat milk. It is actually a very good and reliable recipe.
This reminds me of a 1234 cake. The flavor is nice, but not exceptional. I found it lost its moisture after about 2 days. It's a good cake to use for upside down cakes or even a fruit cobbler. Perhaps susituting sour cream for the milk would make it more moist.