Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This coffee bar is not one you visit to have a latte.
For the Bars
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons instant coffee (dry)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 -5 teaspoons strong coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together brown sugar, butter, and egg until blended.
- Mix together instant coffee with water until dissolved; stir into mixture in bowl.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
- Stir into bowl a little at a time, stirring, until batter is smooth.
- Fold in raisins and nuts.
- Spread batter in prepared baking pan and bake in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until top springs back when touched in center.
- Meanwhile, prepare glaze: mix powdered sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, in a small bowl, adding enough coffee to make a glaze of pouring consistency.
- When bars are removed from oven, drizzle them with glaze while warm, and allow to cool before cutting into serving pieces.
I have basically this same recipe and we love these! Mine calls for 1/3 c. hot strong brewed coffee in the cake recipe as well as 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of the raisins (which I definitely prefer!). It also increases the nuts to a 1/2 c. and omits the coffee from the icing -- but I think I'll give that a try. Mmmm, coffee-flavoured icing!! Thanks for posting!