Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
From "The Best Freezer Cookbook"
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup grated semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- chocolate curls (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line three 9 inch cake pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat 1-1/2 cups butter with 1-1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour and cinnamon. Stir this mixture into the butter/sugar mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Divide dough into 8-9 equal portions.
- Spread one portion in each pan.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool the cookies in pans on racks. Remove from pans, reline pans with parchment and repeat with remaining 6 portions of dough.
- When all cookies are baked and cooling, prepare filling.
- In a large bowl whip the cream until stiff. Sift cocoa and fold into cream.
- In another bowl stir together sugar and sour cream until sugar dissolves. Stir in grated semi-sweet chocolate.
- Fold sour cream mixture into whipped cream mixture.
- To assemble:.
- Arrange one cookie on a cake plate; spread with about 1/9 of filling. Keep layering cookies and filling finishing with filling. Garnish with a pile of chocolate curls.
- To freeze: Freeze on a cardboard cake circle you can purchase at a baking supply store. Layer as above and then insert a few toothpicks in the top to hold the plastic wrap off the top of the torte.
- Wrap in plastic and then in foil. Label and freezer for up to 2 months.
- To serve:.
- Thaw on counter for 1 hour before serving. Unwrap, remove toothpicks and garnish with the chocolate curls.
- To make chocolate curls: Run a vegetable peeler over a brick of chocolate and pieces will "curl" off the peeler.