1/1 Photo of Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Hot Cross Buns
2 hrs 20 mins
Aleigha Nicole's Note:
I found this recipe on www.notquitenigella.com but have changed it ever so slightly to my preferences. These are amazing hot cross buns with a twist. And so delicous straight out the oven. If buns are not eaten straight away freeze and warm up again either in the microwave or oven - but be careful the cross's dont melt everywhere if re-heating in the oven. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups white chocolate (2 1/2 blocks)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons dried yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk, lukewarm
- 4 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 g butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mixed spice
- 1/2 cup white chocolate (1/2 a block)
- 1Melt the chocolate and stir in the 2 tsp of cinnamon, mix well then pour onto a tray with baking paper and place in freezer until set. Once set chop into chunky peices to make 'cinnamon chocolate chips'.
- 2Next mix yeast, sugar and warm milk in a bowl and stir to remove any lumps. Set aside for 15 minutes until it becomes frothy.
- 3In a large bowl sift flour and salt. Make a well in the centre and mix in the yeast mixture, butter egg, cinnamon, mixed spice and one one third of the chocolate chips.
- 4Knead dough for 5 minutes until elastic and place in a greased bowl covered with cling wrap in a warm area (or sit your bowl in a larger bowl of warm water). Leave for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hoursuntil doubled in size.
- 5Using your fist, punch down the dough and add the remaining cinnamon chocolate chips. Knead lightly (Careful not to handle too much so the chocolate chips dont melt) and divide into 16 balls.
- 6Place close together on a lined or greased baking tray. Cover with cling wrap and allow to rise for 20 imnutes. Preheat the oven to 175C/350°F.
- 7Bake for 20 minutes untill lightly golden. Allow to cool slightly
- 8Melt the 1/2 block of chocolate in a ziplock bag in the microwave. Allow to cool slightly then snip of the corner of the bag and pipe lines across buns to make crosses.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Hot Cross Buns
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 373.3
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 28.2 mg
- Sodium 214.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 25.1 g
- Protein 8.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: