Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Enjoy this spicy butter over grilled potatoes, summer squash and thick rounds of roasted red onions. The smoky heat of the chipotle peppers is just right with the sweet flavor of ground cinnamon(hopefully freshly ground!), brightened with the sharp hint of lime. Adapted from the Fields of Greens restaurant cookbook. If you'd like to make it a little bit sweet, feel free to add 1/2 tsp. or more to taste of brown sugar.
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon chipotle puree (see Chipotle Pepper Puree)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (preferably fresh ground)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar (or more)
- Cream the butter with the chipotle puree, cinnamon and salt.
- Add lime juice, starting with 1/2 tsp., then adding more to taste.
- For a spicier butter, add more chipotle puree.
- Vegetables will really soak up the heat of the butter, so it should be fairly hot but not overpowering.
- This would make a great rub for salmon or meat.