Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe was printed on the cinnamon package I have in my pantry. It is as yummy as it sounded.
- 2 teaspoons ground ancho chili pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 New York strip steaks, 1 inch thick
- Mix all spices together and rub into both sides of steaks.
- Allow steaks to sit at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Grill over medium-high heat for 8 minutes or until steaks are cooked to desired degree of doneness.
What a unique and great way to season a steak. I really enjoyed the spiciness of the ancho chili pepper ad the chipotle chile pepper as well as the hint of cinnamon and the smokiness of the cumin. I topped it all off with some grilled onions. Yummy! Made for December, 2008 Aussie/NZ Swap.
This was terrific! Never would have thought of trying cinnamon in the crust for a steak but it was great on a nice big T-bone. I used quite a generous amount of the mix (about double) on the steak to suit personal tastes and it had wonderful but not too strong chili taste while the cinnamon gave it a subtle sweetness at the same time.
I absolutely love this! I let the seasonings sit on the meat for a couple of hrs and used the broiler to cook it to a wee bit past med rare. This turned an already great steak cut into something really exceptional. I continue to worship at the alter of cinnamon. Paula thx so much for posting this one, when I want to be indulgent this is what I'll use from now on! Outstanding!