Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from the food insert in my local newspaper; it sounded so good I didn't want to lose it! It is from a woman named Judith Ogden Larsen, who has a pie shop in Eustis, Nebraska, says "this pretty orange pie is better than pumpkin pie ever thought about being!" I think the addition of raisins might be nice in this....
- 473.18 ml carrots, cooked and mashed
- 340.19 g canwhole evaporated milk (not skim or fat-free)
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground ginger
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- 10 inch unbaked pie shells
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine first seven ingredients in a medium mixing bowl; beat for two minutes.
- Pour into unbaked pie crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- lower heat to 350 degrees and bake 45 minutes longer or until the filling is set.
My family couldn't taste the difference and thought it was pumpkin pie! Thanks for the great recipe!
I tried this with much trepidation but my family actually liked it BETTER than pumpkin. All through the year they talk about that great fake pumpkin pie I made. And look forward to it every Thanksgiving.
Really, really tasty! My whole family at this up and raved about it. If you are fan of pumpkin or sweet potato pie - this is your kind of pie. The only thing I might do differently next time is puree my carrots to make them 100% smooth but that's such a minor thing. The directions and ingredients are perfect and the pie is wonderfully tasty - and a great way to use up an abundance of carrots! Thanks for sharing Raquel.