Recipe by Mims & Squims
If you're going to have sweets for breakfast, don't settle for donuts & cinnamon rolls when you can have DELIGHT!
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water (105 degrees)
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted and cooled)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 5 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup egg white (whisked)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 6 cups whole wheat flour
- 8 large dates (pitted)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light margarine (softened)
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cardamom (ground)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine water, margarine, and sugar.
- Sprinkle yeast over mixture and let stand 5 minutes until foamy.
- Stir in egg whites, salt and dry milk. Gradually stir in 5 cups flour until dough is formed.
- On floured surface, knead dough 10 minutes, adding enough flour to make smooth and elastic.
- Place in lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat. Cover & let rise in warm place 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Punch down & roll into a 15x20" rectangle. Pit and mash dates to form paste. Spread paste along longer side.
- Spread butter over dough and sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Roll up like a jelly roll (lengthwise) and cut crosswise 1 1/2" slices.
- Arrange on greased baking sheet 2" apart and let rise in warm place until increased 1 1/2x in size, 1 hour.
- While rising, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush rolls w/ melted margarine and sprinkle with sugar mixture.
- Bake until tops are golden, 25 minutes.